Saturday, June 8, 2013

Pisa 6/8/13


We arrived in Pisa last night around 9:30.  Every road may lead to Rome, but they certainly don’t all lead to Pisa.  We made the mistake of relying on our phone for directions but for some reason we were not getting service.  Without a map we were lucky to arrive at all.  The bungalow at the campsite (Torre Pendente) was a lot more spacious than the one at our last campsite (Antipolis).   Not sure how they crammed 3 bedrooms in but they did.  They also provided toilet paper and linens which was not the case at Antipolis.  I knew this ahead of time so I hauled sheets and toilet paper with us for 6000 miles to accommodate.  Something that both France and Italy have been lacking in in their public bathrooms are toilet seats.  When we went to Monaco they had a toilet seat but only in the handicap restroom.  We were so excited about it we all stood in line to use it.  It took 3 times longer but was well worth the wait.  

We were able to walk to the leaning tower from our campground this morning.  In the square, there is a baptistery, cathedral and then of course the tower.  It’s amazing how these buildings just sit in the middle of an otherwise pretty unremarkable city.  Unremarkable if you live in it that is.  We actually enjoyed looking at the city from the top of the tower.  There seem to be almost as many cathedrals as there are chapels in Utah.  And the orange roofs are cool but only because we are not Italians.  If you are an Italian you don’t know any different so I’m sure they are taken for granted. 

It was fun to go up into the tower.  We had a guide that gave us background info about the tower but it took me a long time to figure out that she wasn’t speaking Italian.  As hard as I tried, I couldn’t understand what she was saying but I’m sure it was something good.   After she was done talking we got to climb the 267 stairs to the top.  That information is accredited to Brooklyn who never goes up any set of stairs without counting them.  We noticed that the marble stairs that spiraled up were worn down on the right when you were on one side and on the left when you were on the other.  On our drive to Pisa yesterday we went by some marble mines and marble conveyer belts and stacks and stacks of marble blocks.  Guess we know where those worn down stairs came from. 

The top of the tower



The view from the top

The last few stairs to the top





 The Cathedral

Freaky dead saint in a coffin with a window

This painting is over 800 years old

The wall fortress of pisa

The baptistry



I realized the other day that I only had 5 more doses of my medication left so after we left the cathedral and tower we walked into a pharmacy and I asked them if they had it there.  They did and they handed it to me without a subscription for about half the price that I can get it for in the states.  Now that’s a convenience that I think I might just trade my toilet seats for.  Then we stopped at our 3rd Carrefour of the trip to pick up something for lunch.  Italy’s Carrefours provide bags unlike France’s.  We got our favorite cylindrical econo-cookies and some fresh out of the oven pizza.  I asked for 6 pieces but they said they could only sell 3 at a time.  Whatever.  They were big so I just had them cut them in half.  Hah!  I got my 6 pieces.  In your face Italian Carrefour.
We are now heading to Rome and are prepared to do whatever they are doing.  

No comments: