Monday, June 3, 2013

3rd And Final Day in Spain

Today was another fun yet tiring day.  We headed out to La Rambla and walked around admiring the small streets and old buildings more than the shopping.  The weather here couldn't have been more perfect the whole time we've been here.  Which is nice because someone told us it had been unseasonably cold and rainy before we got here.  We stopped at a little restaurant for lunch and learned something new about Whitney.  When Bryton tried to get her to eat hummus by shoving it in her mouth and getting it on her face, her tongue started itching (which is hard because all 4 of her top front teeth are missing so she has nothing to scratch it on ) and she broke out in hives all over her mouth.  I guess we'll steer away from hummus in the future.  And you certainly won't hear her complaining about that.


 My picky eaters do not know what to think


After that we headed down toward the beach.  We decided to try to catch a bus.  After waiting for about 15 minutes we found out that the busses only run at night.  Who would have guessed.  I guess after our experience on our first night, we should have.

Waiting at the bus stop

We hoofed it instead.  It really wasn't that bad of a walk.  We should have just done that to begin with.  We had warned our kids about the bare chests we might come across before hand so they were not surprised when they saw not just a few.  They focused on one of their favorite things to do at the beach, collecting sea glass, while John and I drifted in and out of consciousness.  The sea glass will probably add an extra pound to our luggage.  They did well.  The beach was really nice with soft sand.  They had fixed it up for when they hosted the summer olympics in 1992.




Sydney's art work.  A mermaid tail to go with Whitney's Little Mermaid swim suit.


Around 6:00 we headed over to another amazing park.  Parc de la Ciutadella.  We couldn't believe we only went there as an after thought.

This picture is dedicated to my friend Amy







Then it was time to go to dinner.  John and I did not want to leave Spain without eating Paella.  When we were at the street fair on Sunday we got a strong recommendation from a local that we took to heart.  Escreba' in Port Olimpic.  I don't know how we found it because after we left her I couldn't remember what she said and decided it was Escreval in Campo Limpio.  We looked at a map and googled different places until we were able to pinpoint it.  I realized that Campo Limpo was actually an area on my mission that I had for some reason conjured up from my past and translated into Spanish.  Campo Limpio.  (Notice the extra "I".) John called this morning to make a reservation.  He asked for 7:00 which I thought was a little late.  I guess I was wrong because they told him they didn't even open their kitchen until 8:00.  Again, we should have guessed.  The paella was excellent and so was the goat cheese salad.  I would seriously go back just for that.  We also had baby squid which sounds cruel but is delicious.

Paella


We leave bright and early tomorrow morning for France.  I called for a Taxi driver tonight but he didn't speak any English.  I did my best to tell him what I wanted in Spanish.  I guess this will be a true test of my Spanish skills.  If he doesn't show up, me Spanish not so gooda.  I hope he comes because I really don't want to deal with another tension head ache.  Those people deserve to live.

2 comments:

Guatemalamama said...

Keep em comin. I love hearing about your adventures. Love the hat Kathleen. p.s. hummus has garlic in it. Isn't she allergic to garlic?

Kathleen said...

It's Brooklyn who has the food allergies. Whitney is not supposed to have any.