Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Don't say the "H" word


Okay, here's just one more blog to emphasize how difficult it is to keep up with my kids' activities and then I'll change my blog theme to "I'm A Mom Who's Got It All Together".
  

I've always found Halloween (as a mom) to be a little bittersweet.  Yeah, it's fun to dress up and to dress my kids up and to get "free" candy.  But it also means that I need to come up with costumes for 4 kids.  And I don't mean 1 costume per kid.  I mean 1 costume per festivity.  Our ward had a party last weekend with a hero theme.  "Come dressed as your favorite hero!"  Our school traditionally has a "Come dressed as your favorite literary character!"  the day before Halloween.  Our neighborhood has a Halloween party the week before Halloween.  And then of course there is Halloween itself where the kids go trick-or-treating at John's work in the afternoon and then again at night around the neighborhood.  
So, this year, Bryton is going as Huckleberry Finn, a BYU football player and the grim reaper. Sydney is going to stick to just 2 costumes -Princess Leah and Dorothy from "The Wizard of Oz".  Brooklyn also is sticking to 2.  Pippy Longstocking and the White Witch from the Chronicles of Narnia.  Whitney is my easy one.  She's going as the "Cat in the Hat"  That is a total of 8 different costumes that I have to put on my 4 kids on 4 different occasions.  That's a total of 16 times I have to dress a kid up minus one because Whitney's not in school yet.  (Of course her Little School teacher for that week might have something different to say as the day gets closer.)  
Let's face it "Favorite Hero Day" and "Literary Character Day"  are just sneaky ways of having Halloween without having Halloween.  I don't have anything against those other parties.  I just like that if we were to call all of them "Halloween Parties" I would have half as many costumes to come up with and it would sure make my "H word" a whole lot easier.

4 comments:

Amy Coontz said...

I am going to be out of town on Halloween. And I have to say, I am a little excited to leave all the stuff for Jim to take care of.

Mommy of Five said...

Yuck on the multiple dress ups. I only have one costume that I'm stressing about. Morgan wants to be "The Great Sphinx of Giza". Yeah, I need to make it. I haven't started and we have our Trunk-r-Treat this Saturday night.

Today is the day. I am just dreading it.

Tamara Atkin said...

That is one crazy neighborhood you live in. Parties are fun and it's cool to celebrate things like Halloween, but you can't be the only parent in that situation. Why isn't everyone complaining and hosting a parent riot? Even if everyone else only had one child, asking parents to make three different costumes for one Halloween sounds way too time consuming and expensive for anyone to be happy about it. Of course, I did have spirit week not too long ago and I decided to just go cheap and simple for it. Which made my daughter decide I must not love her very much.

Mantaraya said...

"We two alone will sing like birds i' the cage...
...so we'll live,
And pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh
At gilded butterflies, and hear poor rogues
Talk of court news; and we'll talk with them too,
Who loses and who wins; who's in, who's out;
And take upon's the mystery of things,
As if we were God's spies..." —King Lear, Act V, Scene iii