Friday, October 3, 2008

A day in the life of a MOFO (mother of four)

Today was my daughter's 50 states program at school. During this program, all the 2nd graders do a presentation where each child talks about one of the 50 states. They also sing patriotic songs. Then after ward the parents walk through the map museum that they have on display in their classrooms. These are maps they've been working on for the last 2 weeks for homework. It is extremely hyped up and all the 2nd graders look forward to it with great anticipation. Today was the big day. I was running late but fortunately made it into the auditorium (A.K.A. cafeteria) before the classes had worked their way in. They all walked in wearing red, white or blue or all 3 colors. That's when my whole week flashed before my eyes and I remembered the note that had been sent home saying, "make sure your child wears red, white , or blue for the program". As they walked in one by one I watched hopefully for the other kids who had also forgotten to wear their patriotic colors. Not only were all the other children wearing their colors, some of them were decked out in ribbons and other ornamental garb resembling the 4th of July. Then I saw Sydney. I had just gone to Gymboree the day before to spend my "gymbucks" and she was wearing the cutest outfit. I had picked it out for her myself before school. Unfortunately it didn't matter how cute it was. I watched her walk in wiping the tears from her eyes. As she sat down she looked out toward the audience and gave a brave smile. She loves to please people and I imagine her teacher had told her and her classmates to "make sure and smile while you're out there!" She did a great job. She recited all her lines perfectly. But she had to keep regaining her composure throughout the entire assembly. I sat there seething. Boy was I gonna tell her teacher off for not letting her call me and ask me to bring her the appropriate clothing. It's one thing to teach responsibility but, come on, she's only a second grader. Fortunately I had time during the performance to think things through and afterwards walked up to her teacher and very politely asked how Sydney was doing. She told me she was doing well and that she had tried to call me to ask for clothes but couldn't get a hold of me. I imagined the light markings of a giant "L" appearing on my forehead.
I walked over to where Sydney was standing displaying her map of Michigan that she had worked so hard on and told her what a great job she'd done. She then asked me if I had video taped it for daddy. (The markings got a little darker.) "No", I said trying to stay positive, "but I took lots of pictures." Again, she had to work to keep her composure. On the way home she explained to me how she'd tried to call and I downplayed the whole thing saying,"it's a good thing you wore pink and gray because that's almost the same as red and blue." She seemed appeased. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and gave a sigh of relief. Somehow I had managed to narrowly escape her resentment and hopefully avoid any permanent scarring.
This was a small, fairly insignificant incident. Unfortunately, the problems get bigger as they get older. How will I manage them? Perhaps all the little incidents that take place when they're little are to prepare us for the bigger ones that are bound to happen when they're older. Baby steps.

5 comments:

Amy Coontz said...

Hey Kathleen,
So glad I found your blog. And really don't sweat the small stuff. I just figure it will be stuff they bring up when they are grown.
"Hey Mom, remember the time ..."

I'll be checking back!!

clarkorama said...

Knowing that my mom had 6 kids and worked out of the home, I can imagine that we had plenty of these moments in my house. Do I remember even a single one? Nope. I'm sure all the family vacations and radiator-cooked meals will far outweigh the missteps. And you'll be a champ when they're teens!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

My mother forgot the "maturation" film when I was in the sixth grade. We totally laugh about it now, but at the time I really thought my life would end. Live and learn, hey?

heymaughan said...

When Staten had International Day in his class last year, he had to bring food from the country of his roots. I sent gingerbread, deciding Germany was kind of close to Scandinavia. Only when I got to the presentation did I realize he had to present his food and the country of origin out loud to everyone. I had not prepped him at all on this and was trying to telepathically send him "northern europe" vibes, but of course it didn't work. When they got to him, after about 15 impressive and very culturally diverse introductions, out came the following:

My name is Staten Maughan, and I brought Gingerbread from California.

Though he seemed confused by the amused but supportive laughter from all the parents, I decided the memory would be far more priceless for the blunder. Had he been well prepped, I would never remember International Day with such fondness.

Hopefully you will feel the same.

Tamara Atkin said...

I would love to be as encouraging as the others, but I fret about these kind of things constantly. I had a great time dressing Lydia up for nerd day, then after I sent her off, I started to worry that she might be the only one to participate in the first grade which could be really humiliating. I think I'll write a post about it.