Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day

My family and I went to California over Christmas break. While we were at the beach we met a woman who was scouring the beach for sea glass. She claimed that she had been a successful restaurant owner until she was taken ill and moved near the ocean for health reasons. She said that she made enough to sustain herself by collecting sea glass and turning it into jewelry to sell. For some reason John and I were a little skeptical of her story but learning about sea glass was interesting enough. We had never heard of it but apparently it's somewhat well known because there was a story about it in National Geographic that we read a few months later. Basically what it is - is garbage. Back before everything started being made out of plastic everything was made out of glass. People would dispose of glass bottles and the like into the ocean. The waves shape the glass pieces over many years kind of like a rock polisher and they turn into pretty little stones. My kids had a hey day searching for sea glass with this woman. And they had an advantage because while the woman only looked on the surface of the sand, my kids would get dirty digging down deep in search of the glass. They actually found quite a bit. For Mother's Day John had some of the glass they found made into a necklace for me. Here it is.

I love it because it is sentimental and a one of a kind. Not to mention it cost about 10 bucks. And I'm not saying that to make John look bad because to me it is absolutely priceless. Thanks John. You're a stud.

7 comments:

Guatemalamama said...

That is so neat. what a special gift. Everyone was involved and a part of your gift. You can't buy that kind of present.

Mommy of Five said...

That's awesome, Kathleen. Very pretty, too. Someday, we'll steal this idea. I hope you don't mind. I can invision gettting my mom and all the grandkids to a beach and they can all collect sea glass with her. That would be neat.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Lovely!

Mommy of Five said...

Also, Sterling will be there with me, my mom, and the grandkids. Plus my dad, plus the parents of the other grandkids...but especially Sterling. My plan did involve him, see, I included him in the stealing. We'll, that's me and him.

Better, Sterling? Quit stalking me on the comments page of other people's blogs.

Kathleen said...

I know the whole time my kids were looking for sea glass I was wishing Sterling could be there with us to share in the moment.

Kathleen said...

That's my one regret. That Sterling wasn't there.

Matt said...

Thanks to John for coming up w/ a good idea that I can steal and copy and take full credit for!