Friday, May 8, 2009

May Day!

For my kids, May is always the grand finale of the school year. This is the month where they do their final field trips, their final programs, their end of school parties, their mother's day tea, field day, projects, etc., etc.. Today was one of those crazy days where each of my children had something special going on with their classes, and each event started at 9:00.
After a crazy morning I got to school just in time to see Brooklyn off on her limousine ride to the Fort Collins Lincoln Center to watch "Slim Jim Goodbody". Some sort of program they put on to encourage youngsters to make healthy choices. They got to go in a limousine because one of the parents in her class owns a limousine company. If she's lucky, she'll be in this kids' class throughout grade school.



As I was seeing her off I watched Bryton's class load on to their school bus (how lame) to head over to the Fort Collins Museum. Almost everyone was dressed in Cowboy/Indian/Pioneer attire. I embarked his bus to take a picture of him and his cuteness but when I saw him he was dressed in what he came to school in. When I asked him why he said, "I'm not really a dress up kind of guy." I decided to punish him by not taking a picture of him. (That will teach him.) Although I regret that decision now because, costume or no costume, he's pretty darn cute. And at least I could have gotten a picture of him on the bus surrounded by "dress up kind of kids".
After seeing them off on their excursions I went inside to Sydney's classroom where they were having a Mother's Day Tea. Sydney very appropriately wore her "mommy's girl" shirt. We moms sat with our kids and had a great brunch that the teacher had secretly organized with the dads. It was actually a pretty impressive spread.
If I'd known how much food would be there I would have forgone my Fiber One Pop-Tart and saved more room in my stomach. After our brunch we took turns going up to the front of the class with our kids and reading the poems they had written for us. Before Sydney and I had our turn one of the boys announced that Sydney's poem was the best. I watched Sydney's face turn red as she quietly shook her head in protest. Cute. She really is quite poetic and detailed for a second grader. Here is her poem:

Oh, did I mention that we got to wear princess crowns as we sat on our throne and read our poems?

No comments: