Thursday, November 20, 2008

When I grow up...

The other day I went (I'm resisting the temptation to say, "I got to go") to the fire station with my daughter's preschool.  I'm quite certain that I was looking forward to the occasion much more than any of the preschoolers.  How many chances do you get as an adult to go on a field trip to a fire station?  This excitement had nothing to do with the crush I've had on the word "fireman" since 9/11.  I assure you it was the same type of excitement that a preschooler might show, only magnified because I'm more aware of how rare such opportunities are.  I tried to act nonchalant as we walked around the station looking at their kitchen, exercise room, dormitory, etc..  But when they broke out the uniform, that was it for me.  As they were letting each preschooler have their turn trying on the mask, the words, "Can I try it on?" escaped my lips.   And it didn't stop there.  Once I got going I found I couldn't stop.  I started asking for pieces of their uniform in the same manner a surgeon might ask a nurse for his/her instruments during surgery.  I got completely geared up and ready to go.  This got the wheels in my head turning.  I started thinking, "Maybe I should be a fireman.  I could do this."  I started quizzing them on what I would have to do to get to where they are.  They started explaining the process and I listened intently.  I was  pretty discouraged when I found out how competitive  it is.  But then they told me I could do a ride along any time I wanted.  All I would need to do is sign a paper saying  that I wouldn't blame them if I died on the way.  I was pretty sure I'd found a new career as a "ride-along fireman".  
About 3 days later I went to get my hair done.  As I chatted with my "hair-dresser-by-day-strip- club-bouncer-by-night" stylist I found myself taking the same sort of interest in his line of work. (Not the strip club bouncing)  I started asking him, "So, how much is the tuition for beauty school?"  "How long does it take to be a hair dresser?"  "What kinds of things do you have to do while you're becoming a hair stylist."   As he answered my questions (he seemed only slightly annoyed with his inability to concentrate) the wheels in my head started turning again.  I thought, "Maybe I should be a hair stylist."  "It wouldn't take very long."  "It might be kind of fun."  
For some reason I keep having to remind myself that I already am what I'm going to be when I grow up.  Just last night I suddenly became alarmed at the realization that I'm going to be 40 in another 3 short years.  Not exactly the ideal stage of life for starting up a new career.  Although, since the fire station and the hair dresser I've also seriously considered going to med school to be a doctor and teaching Portuguese at CSU.   And I am up for suggestions.  

6 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Why not? I mean, if you don't go back to school now, in a few years you WILL be 40 whether you go to school or not. Forty is still 25 whole years to a retirement age. That is a second lifetime; you may as well be doing what you want.

I'm at a crossroads right now myself. I need a masters degree to teach in Oregon, and though I'm really not sure we are going to stay, I really dislike not having the means to support my family if I had to. I also don't really know if we'll have more kids. I know I'm not ready now.

Why shouldn't you go back and do something you want? I know that you feel like school teaching is not a great fit, but there are really so many great options.

Unknown said...

Well, Kathleen, it seems we have hit the same mid-life crisis. Over the past 6 weeks I have brought up the subject of being a referee/umpire and I almost have Randy convinced to let me go to electrician school.

Tamara Atkin said...

I am totally the same way. I, too, have considered a cosmetology license. I would probably be the only student there with a bachelor's degree. I think I'm just addicted to licenses and certificates. I got my teaching certificate and never taught. I then got my real estate license and never sold it. I've seriously considered law school(before getting married). I'm licensed in CPR, to carry a gun, and of course to sell pest control. One thing I would love, if it didn't cost so much, is to get licensed to fly a helicopter. My husband wants me to go the culinary arts school at UVU and I've seriously considered that as well. I really enjoy "Top Chef" and other cooking shows. Do any of those ideas sound good to you? Because I'll go with you. I'm up for any and all of them.

Kathleen said...

I will totally go to cooking school with you! We can start our own restaurant!

Tamara Atkin said...

I am so ready to be a gourmet chef. I'm not very artsy or crafty, but food is one place that I love to be creative and daring. Naming and picking a theme for a restuarant also sounds like great fun. The culinary art school at uvu has gourmet dinners regularly, so for now I practice by eating there as often as possibe. The lobster celebration is my favorite.

heymaughan said...

This is precisely how my mind works. I still see the world as my oyster, and think "I could do this...or wait, I could do that...", then I have to remind myself that I'm not fresh out of college like I think I am.

I love the show Man vs. Wild and Bear Grylls--there just aren't enough cool words to describe him and his survival skills--but I always assumed he was so much older and wiser than myself. When I found out his age the other day, (he is 34) it was kind of shocking and kind of disturbing to realize I am older than he is and haven't yet attained his level of competence in the wild. Does that mean it will never happen? I still want to do and be pretty much everything, and I must admit that's one reason I'm all for eternity.

But in the meantime, I think you should at least follow up with the fireman ride along.