Monday, April 27, 2009

Denver

One day, on his way to scouts, the person driving Bryton to his Den meeting was in an accident. Fortunately no one was hurt and as they were getting insurance and police reports settled someone else driving to scouts picked up Bryton and brought him the rest of the way which was only about a block. As soon as they drove into the parking lot they were in an accident. Again, no one was hurt. Just a fender bender. When he got home and told me this I kept waiting for a third accident to happen. You know the superstition that deaths always come in sets of three? I apply that to accidents as well. Sure enough there was another accident of someone I knew. It's been a few months so I can't really remember if it happened that same day or the next day. I also can't remember who it happened to. I'm thinking maybe my sister-in-law but I can't say for sure. I just know that it happened. Well, now I can apply trips to Denver to that superstition as well. We can go months without going down to Denver to visit John's family but once we get the ball rolling again our trips down there seem to come in little clusters of 3.
A little over 2 weeks ago we went down there for Stake temple day. We were fortunate to run into some of John's old friends from school and we went out to dinner with them after. They are living in the Springs. Afterwards we exchanged blog addresses, etc.. For some reason I gave out ours but didn't write down theirs. Tamsen, if you are reading this shoot me your blog address because John and I would really like to keep up with you guys.
Then a little over a week ago was our RV trip to the Sand Dunes that I mentioned in a previous blog. Hmmm. Perhaps I should have gone with my gut feeling. It was raining when we picked up the RV and that rain soon turned to snow. We spent the night at Sterling and Lisa's and decided we would head out the next day because the weather was supposed to warm up at the Dunes. We didn't know that it was going to keep snowing, and snowing, and snowing in Denver. As soon as we headed out our RV started sliding on the road and we ran up onto a curb. That's when we realized we weren't going to make it out of Denver. We drove over to John's mom and dad's house and waited out the snow storm. Probably the longest snow storm of the season. I can't complain about it snowing in April because we've had such a mild winter and we could really use the precipitation. Let me just say that April is really taking that saying "April showers bring May flowers" seriously this time around. Out of 5 scheduled flag football games that Bryton was supposed to play in 3 have been cancelled due to weather and the other 2 should have been.

Anyway, we waited out the snowstorm at John's parents' house. Because his parents were out of town and the only ones there were the Garner family we stayed inside the nice warm house and just let the RV sit at the curb for 2 days. The kids had a ball sledding down the ravine that his parents' house backs up to. Since we didn't anticipate snow April came up with the ingenious idea of wrapping the kids up in grocery sacks so that they could go sledding.




They had a ball sledding and spending time with their cousins. I think they would really rather be hanging out with their cousins than just about anything.
On Sunday the snow had let up so we headed over to the Ivory's house to go to church with them. We took all the kids to church in the RV. It was fun having an RV stocked with snacks that we could retreat to after sacrament meeting. It's probably not a good idea to bring a big RV to church every week because I think Sunday School attendance would go way down. After church we spent the rest of the day with the Ivory's and played a fun game which I did not win.

The last day of our vacation (Monday) we thought we would take the kids somewhere exciting in Denver like a museum or aquarium. However when we woke up in our RV that morning Whitney was complaining of being car sick even though we weren't moving. Not a good sign. (She's so used to getting car sick that when she's feeling nauseous in the house she calls it "house sick". This time we happened to be in a vehicle so the term "car sick" still applied.) That put a halt to proceeding with any play time in Denver so we returned the RV and went home. Since the rental was free, I still feel like we got our money's worth. And then some. :)
Now for the highlight of our Denver trips. Just 2 days ago we returned once more to Denver for Kelsey's wedding which turned out so nice and was just so much fun. Kelsey's lucky that she was the first grand child. By the time my kids get married the novelty will have worn off and everyone will be like "Oh brother. ANOTHER wedding??" (They will have over 30 cousins to compete with.) Anyway, as I mentioned in my last post we just got a new camera and John had so much fun walking around behind the actual photographer and pretending to be THE photographer. He took over 400 pictures. If I could I would post at least a quarter of them on this blog. (They are so photogenic that it's hard to get a bad shot of them.) But, since I can't do that I'll just post a few favorites and then if anyone wants to see more we'll send you a CD or something.




1 comment:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Kelsey is just so adorable and they look so happy. Cute shots and great stories.

Those spontaneous trips are the best. I wish we had cousins around to play with a little more often. This trip to Utah was the first time my kids have cried when we left. I think they are finally "getting it" about just how far away we live.

Wish we could have been there.